Sen. Whitehouse on confirmation hearing: ‘I am horrified at what the committee has done’

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) already voted no on Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the Supreme Court. However, Sen. Whitehouse had a few things to say before Sen. Grassley’s misogynist’s circus finished its craven show.

Sen. Whitehouse: Judge Kavanaugh has an unpleasant record, both of associations with and rulings for, a powerful array of activist Republican special interests. To whom he gives a 90% win rate. The Supreme Court has an equally unpleasant record of 5-4 partisan rulings for those same big interests. Not three or four times. Not even one or two dozen times. But under Chief Justice Roberts, 70 times. All 5-4 partisan decisions. The court is flying all the warning flags of a captured agency. Dancing to special interest tunes, and rampaging through precedent and principle to get there. This will be a disaster for the court, and I believe Kavanaugh will contribute to that disaster.

From here, Sen. Whitehouse cut to the chase. Brett Kavanaugh was an unreliable witness by any account.

Sen. Whitehouse: His partisan screed yesterday was telling. As to yesterday, let me be frank. I believe Dr. Ford. I may be wrong, but I believed her. And I believe Kavanaugh dodged and dissembled, ranted and raved, filibustered and prevaricated. I did not find him credible. I don't believe boof is flatulence, I don't believe the devil's triangle is a drinking game, and I don't believe calling yourself a girl's alumnus is being her friend. And I think drinking until you “ralph” or “fall out of the bus” or “don't remember the game” or need to “piece together your memory the next day,” is more consistent with Dr. Ford's and others' testimony than his own.

This basic logic means only one thing.


Sen. Whitehouse on confirmation hearing: ‘I am horrified at what the committee has done’ Sen. Whitehouse on confirmation hearing: ‘I am horrified at what the committee has done’ Reviewed by The News on Donal Trump on September 29, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.